Virgin Islands Association DC Inc. (VIADC Inc.) announces the 11th annual scholarship program for Virgin Islands students interested in pursuing a college degree or a vocational course of study.
The VIADC Inc., a non-profit organization founded by Virgin Islanders in the metro D.C. area, has announced its 2020-2021 scholarship program. Eligible Virgin Islands students are encouraged to apply before the deadline of May 31.
Application process and application forms can be found on the association’s website: www.VIADC.org. The VIADC Inc. Scholarship Program includes three scholarships that are awarded at the start of the college fall semester of each year. The VIADC was established to promote fellowship and foster a sense of belonging and loyalty to the Virgin Islands. The organization is known throughout Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia for its cultural activities, including the Summer Fish Fry, Annual Picnic and the Winter Ball.
In addition to the Scholarship Program, it has conducted food drives for the homeless and hurricane relief drives for the U.S. Virgin Islands and other Caribbean islands. Earlier this year the association celebrated its 40th anniversary.
The VIADC Scholarship Program is comprised of three scholarships:
- The Robert Finch Memorial Scholarship — three $1,000 scholarships for pending high school graduates; it is named for VIADC’s first president.
- The Imani Marley-Husbands Scholarship for $250 for students currently attending UVI; it is named after a generous VIADC member
- The Beverly Scatliffe Scholarship for two $250 scholarships for current college students involved in community service; it is named after another generous VIADC member
To be eligible for consideration a student must:
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Be a graduate of a high school in the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix or St. John) or be the child of a VIADC member (in good financial standing as of May 1, 2020).
- Plan to enroll full time in an undergraduate or vocational program during the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Complete the appropriate scholarship application on the VIADC website and provide the required documents for consideration.
Virgin Islands students who meet the criteria are encouraged to apply. Questions may be directed to Marva Gumbs Jennings, chair of the Scholarship Committee at email@example.com
Original Source: https://stjohnsource.com/2020/04/29/viadc-inc-opens-application-process-for-11th-scholarship-program/