A crew of young pirates and scalawags will gather Sunday to solve puzzles and play games while raising money for the Ricardo Richards Elementary School wish list.
The Piece of Eight Treasure Hunt will take place from 2 to 3 p.m. and again from 3:30 to 4:40 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 20, at Serenity’s Nest on St. Croix’s Northside Road to Northshore Road, toward the marina on the left hand side of the road.
Participants must be four years old or older, and accompanied by parents.
The event is sponsored by DoDat, a local business that rents family water sports and beach gear. The day’s goal is to raise funds for the Ricardo Richards wishlist, which is online at http://dodatstx.com/schoolwishlists/.
Tickets are $15 per child, with each ticket including a rafflee ticket. Raffle tickets also will be available at the event for $3.
Every child taking part will put on pirate costumes – every bit of pirate paraphernalia on their heads they get to take home – and then form “crews with a captain.” The crews will compete to solve eight pirate puzzles, including finding gold nuggets, walking the plank to look in the shark’s mouth for a clue, and using flashlights to discover secret letters with glow in the dark paint.
Pirate crews will try to figure out “who stole the treasure” and open the final treasure chest for a prize.
Students taking part should register in advance to ensure a spot in the hunt, the organizers said in a news release. There will be a limit of 25 players per game. Tickets can be purchased here.
The event sponsors asked the community to check the school’s wish list page.
“Local Businesses are being encouraged to sponsor tickets for children to come to the event as well as donate any items on the school’s wish list directly to the school,” the news release said.
More information about the day:
– Pieces of 8 Treasure hunt will last about 30 to 45 minutes.
– Participants can take home their own bandana, eye patch, fake gold earring, fake mustache and treasure.
– Prizes will be awarded for games.
– Participants can make and take home their own pirate ghost ship collage.
There will be food for purchase and music.
Raffle items and their donors include:
1. Cruzan Cowgirls – a horseback riding tour for two people, a $200 value (restrictions may apply).
2. The Bistro Cafe – Gift certificate for $25.
3. The Shipwreck (Dodat) – A set of Lumi Poi Balls, valued at $25.
4. STX Oil Bar – $20 gift certificate.
5. Sampson House – $25 gift certificate.
6. Dive Experience – A dive trip with a six-tank boat dive includes all gear, must be a certified diver $315 value
7. Toast, 40 Strand, The Mill – Gift certificate for $100.
8. Crucian Gold – Crucian Knot bracelet, $70 value.
Original Source: https://stjohnsource.com/2019/10/17/pirate-treasure-hunt-will-raise-funds-for-ricardo-richards-school/