For over three decades, one Caribbean award has consistently recognized and honored individuals in the insular Caribbean who demonstrate exceptional environmental leadership. Since 1987, 27 individuals from 17 Caribbean islands have been recipients of the Euan P. McFarlane Environmental Leadership Award, an award that was established to acknowledge individuals, especially young people, who have displayed both exemplary and sustained leadership on behalf of the environment in the insular Caribbean.
Honorees have been persons whose body of environmental work has been both innovative and long term. Their efforts have been an inspiration not only for their home islands but as models for the Caribbean region. Their leadership has created and sustained institutions, supported crucial policies and legislative change, guided educational programs, directed non-governmental organizations, increased community awareness and so much more, all on behalf of advancing environmental stewardship in the insular Caribbean.
The Euan P. McFarlane Award was established in 1987 with an endowment provided by the late Laurance S. Rockefeller and was initially administered by Island Resources Foundation from 1987-2014. The award is now managed by the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) as a part of its program of support for youth, learning, families and the environment.
Who is eligible?
Any resident of a Caribbean island is eligible for nomination, although priority consideration will be given to residents of the smaller Eastern Caribbean islands. Any interested individual or organization familiar with the nominee may make a nomination. Self-nominations will not be accepted.
Nominations will be reviewed by an advisory committee of individuals familiar with the award and its history, the Caribbean region and environmental initiatives in the region. The award will be based on an assessment of how well the nominee meets the following criteria. Please note that all nominations must address criterion No. 5 and at least two of the other four criteria.
1. Nominee’s role in increasing public awareness about environmental issues
2. Nominee’s achievements in helping to formulate public policy that balances economic development objectives with sustainable environmental goals
3. Nominee’s accomplishments in strengthening public or private sector institutions and organizations concerned with conservation, preservation or resource management issues
4. Nominee’s role in developing, promoting or assisting innovative programs or policies that conserve or protect key elements of the Caribbean’s natural or built environment
5. Nominee’s potential for future environmental leadership in the insular Caribbean.
Each selected McFarlane Award recipient will receive an unrestricted $1,000 cash award.
· Nominations are not to exceed three single-spaced typed pages.
· Nominations should state the background, accomplishments and merits of the person nominated and must address criterion No. 5 (see above) and at least two of the other four criteria.
· Full contact information of the nominator and nominee must be provided, including name, organizational affiliation if any, mailing address, telephone number(s) and email address.
· The nomination should also include the name, organizational affiliation, mailing address, telephone number(s) and email address for three other people familiar with the nominee’s work and accomplishments who could be contacted for additional information.
· Attachments that support the nomination (e.g., press clippings, testimonials, letters of endorsement, etc.) may accompany the letter but are not required and cannot be returned. Attachments are not to exceed a total of five pages.
Nominations are to be submitted as e-mails/attachments and sent to:
Anna W. Scarbriel, Ph.D.
Director of Grants and Programs
Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands
Subject ine of email should be: Nomination for Euan P. McFarlane Environmental Leadership Award
Deadline: Nominations must be received no later than Oct. 31.
Announcement of the 2019 McFarlane Award recipient will be made by Dec. 1.
Original Source: https://stjohnsource.com/2019/10/22/nominations-open-for-euan-p-mcfarlane-environmental-leadership-award/