ST JOHN, USVI – This Friday, May 5th, the Mongoose Junction Merchants Association once again presents their “First Friday” arts & culture event. The monthly event features live music, featured artists & art exhibits, cultural performances, sale specials, contests, and more, from 6 pm to 9 pm. This month’s event coincides with Cinco De Mayo, lending an extra festive atmosphere.
This month’s features include:
• VIVA Cantina will be celebrating Cinco De Mayo in style… Enjoy Endless Tacos (lunch time through 5 pm) for $15, plus margarita specials ($5 El Jimador margaritas, $8 Herradura margaritas). Guests who order margaritas will be entered to win a sombrero full of margarita ingredients, and there will be live music in VIVA from 6 to 9 pm.
• Caravan Gallery will host a demonstration of Singing Bowls from Nepal. Browse their new selection of these gorgeous artifacts and learn to play!
• Island Fancy Boutique will host artist Elaine Estern who will be signing copies of her book
“One Lucky Duck”, as well as her other works of art.
• St. John Scoops will host free face painting for kids from 6 to 8 pm.
• Crowd favorite Visions Reggae Combo will perform from 6 to 9 pm in the Mongoose Junction courtyard.
• St. John Brewers will be hosting a $5 All You Can Drink Can Party at the Tap Room – the perfect respite once you’ve explored First Friday.
• Bajo El Sol Gallery will host the opening of its exhibit “Different Developments”, featuring works that utilize the medium of photography in innovative ways, either through inventive techniques or printing processes. Artists include: Steve Simonsen exhibiting a curated collection of his work printed on acrylic, the largest pieces he has shown at Bajo El Sol; Kim Nogueria exhibiting new jewelry works with image transfers of her photography in enamel, as well as antique jewelry featuring tintype photography; marine biologist Carolyn Rogers will exhibit her latest photos of St John marine life printed on metal; Jessica Rosenberg will exhibit ceramic pieces in which manipulated photos are burned onto silk screens and printed onto clay or glass – her theme is “shadows”; David Knight Jr will be exhibiting a narrative series of iPhone photographs on metal titled “Voyages in the Dark” – the series seeks to tell a story about journeying, belonging, and memory. The entire exhibit will run until June 1st.
• Little Switzerland will offer 10% off everything in the store, plus complimentary champagne and cookies.
• Bamboula boutique and Magic Tree Henna will present henna body painting from 5 to 7 pm
• The St. John Experience Gallery will be offering 40-60% off of selected items.
If you’d like more information about Mongoose Junction, First Friday, the Mongoose Junction Merchants Association, or any of the individual merchants or activities, please contact Meaghan Enright: firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 337-5314. Additional information about Mongoose Junction’s shops and history can also be found at www.mongoosejunctionstjohn.com.